Tuesday 5 February 2013

FROZEN Hydration Vest

I know last week I broached the subject of 'cold weather' and what is it good for. This week I experienced a new challenge that the frigid 'cold weather' hurled my way - how to hydrate myself properly in the freeze.

Ever have problems keeping your hydration pak from freezing on cold days? I sure did!

On Sunday's 19k I went out with similar gear and accessories as the week prior. The only switch up being my run tights, I wore a larger pair that was more comfortable on the blossoming baby belly.

Weather was -12 degrees again when we started running and by Mile 2 my hydration vest bite valve was frozen. This is something I've been experiencing the past three weeks. Solution...I bit on the bite valve for a while to warm it up prior to drinking. I did this and was able to get some water. During my next drinking break around Mile 4, I again warmed up the bite valve only to find that this time it wouldn't work and no water was coming my way. I then put the valve under my jacket to warm it up further thinking it must still be iced and when I attempted to drink...no water!!!

Luckily my run buddy Lisa had her hydration belt on with several bottles. A few were frozen for her but she had two still good, and hooked me up whenever I needed.

Once the run finally finished I took my hydration pak off to find that part of the hose was showing without it's thermal padding and had frozen solid! No wonder no water was coming through. I realized that I need to figure out a way prior to my next long run on how to keep my hose, and bite valve ice free so I'm not relying on someone else's water, and that I can drink out of mine whenever I need.

After asking others with camelbak's and hydration pak's I got the following advice:

  • Lose the bite valve and use a mechanical valve (this prevents or permits flow)
  • Put warm water in the bladder (warm water doesn't freeze as fast)
  • Blow a bit of air back into the hose after each drink so the water is back in the bladder (so there is no water in the hose/valve that will freeze)
  • Drink or swallow more often
  • Reroute the hose closer to the body (under the arm or under the chest where there is more heat)
  • Wear the hydration pak/vest under your coat
Step 1 from all this advice my first step during my long run will be to add warm water rather than the freezing cold water I love prior to running. 

Step 2 will be to cover the hose as much as possible with the sleeve

Step 3 will be to blow the air back into the hose after I take a drink 

That's all the steps I will be taking to start because my jacket is getting tighter on my body and there is no way my vest will be sliding underneath my jacket. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment