Tuesday 12 November 2013

Push Present

What is a push present? is what you may be asking yourself, like I did earlier this year. It's a gift that loved ones give to a mother to mark the miracle of her giving birth. It's a tradition that has been common in both the United States and UK for several years and not so common in Canada. I first learned about this tradition when Kevin and I went out to buy a gift for Georgia Rose, my dear friend Katie's daughter. He suggested that in addition to buying Georgia a gift we should pick up a, 'push gift' for Katie. I went on to ask him several questions about it and he told me that in the states he's heard of women receiving quite lavish things like diamonds, necklaces and even a new car!!!! CRAZY...Well we didn't buy Katie any of those things, we picked her up her favourite sweeties, italian soda and some cool outdoor drinking glasses since she had Georgia in the late Spring. 

As most of you know Iyla was the wonderful blessing that arrived eleven days early in our lives. During all of the chaos of an unexpected labour, Kevin told me while we were lying on the very uncomfortable small hospital bed together that he had two different ideas for a push gift for me. He said that he didn't have time to get it with all that happened. AMAZING is what he is and this wasn't even remotely on my mind ha. His push gift ideas were the following two things:

1. Golf Clubs
2. Wet Suit

WHAT both unreal and soooo me. Golfing is something I really enjoy and don't do enough of and a wetsuit is something that supports my goals of competing at a more serious level in triathlons and the Ironman. He wanted my input so I told him the wetsuit would be great leading into our summer 2014 goals but again he didn't need to do anything.

This brings us to yesterday, November 11th... Kevin took me on an outing to try on wetsuits, buy a wetsuit, and than finish the day off with a Starbucks at Indigo (one of our favourite places). 

Thanks to Kevin calling the 'Enduro Sport Outlet' we were fortunate enough to go try on wetsuits on a day they were technically closed (but still working) and have THE BEST one on one service and support. It was the coolest feeling being the only shoppers in the store, and coming in the back door. I felt like I was Reese Witherspoon in 'Sweet Home Alabama', when she got to choose her engagement ring at Tiffany's. That good!!! 

My two babes cuddling

Some smiles for mom
I am so happy I had great service because I had no idea where to even start, this is a brand new ball game for me. I was set up to try on a few different wetsuit levels. Entry, Mid Level, and Elite. I also started with trying on a size medium wetsuit but wound up in an extra small. On the size chart I was a small but you learn your proper size by trying it on first. The medium and small were too big in the neck and upper body. 

What I learned:

  • Wetsuits should fit snug around the neck (the salesperson could fit too many fingers in, which would allow for cold water to sneak down into the suit).
  • To check how it fits in the upper body, I had to put my arms in front of the body and cross my wrists (if too big you will have lots of pinching between the arms and chest, creating an air pocket). I also had to check by crossing my wrists with my arms overhead. 
  • To do up the back, bring your shoulder blades together
  • Use bodyglyde to help get your wetsuit on
  • Store your wetsuit in a cool dry place
  • Mid-level and elite level suits I found more flexible, I couldn't really notice the difference between the mid and elite level. 
  • Wetsuits are designed to fit snugly, especially when dry. Once wet they become more flexible because a layer of water will reside in the suit. 
  • When putting on a dry wetsuit, it's best to turn it inside out first and pull it up that way. They why is because the inside is more durable than the outside. Nails, rings, and sharp edges can tear the suit. 
  • Nineteen wetsuits (the one I chose) offers 5 year warranty that offers replacement should there be seam separation. I was ensured that this happens very seldom. 
  • I already know this but I need to acknowledge it...My husband (Yes you Kevin) is extremely thoughtful, generous and loving. He knows me so well and supports my goals and dreams like no other. I am a very VERY lucky lady to have him in my life. 


Older mid level suit I tried on for size

The one I chose!

The Nineteen Women's Tsunami Wetsuit (credit for all these details goes to: www.swimoutlet.comfeatures the critical stretchiness of Hydroglide Gussets around the shoulders, the extended-wear comfort of the Uncollar, the water-tight closure of the DualSeal Zipper, and the convenience of a SpeedCut leg opening that will reduce transition time.  
• ElleSystem
    - Shaped specifically for women's bodies
• Wingspan lite Hydroglide Gusset
    - Flexibility in critical areas of shoulder and torso
    - Eliminates the traditional Wetsuit constriction 
• Uncollar
    - Chafe-free comfort 
    - Unconventional Wetsuit collar 
    - Ultra-thin, Dual-sided constriction
• DualSeal Zipper
    - Unique hidden zipper design 
    - Additional internal seal next to the skin
    - Reduces water entry
• SpeedCut Leg Openings
    - 3mm neoprene panels in the lower leg
    - Allow for an easy on and easy off fit 
    - Quickens transition times
• 253 System
    - Varying neoprene thickness 
    - Thicker neoprene where flotation is key 
    - Optimizes body position in the water 
    - Thinner neoprene where flexibility is paramount


Love the back design!

Once at Indigo I grabbed the 'RunnersWorld Cookbook' (that I later purchased and will blog about later) and Kevin some magazines on traveling and running. One travel magazine happened to be on Maui, where we got married in 2010. We both love it there and Kevin wanted to relive that moment through pictures. Craziest thing happened while he was browsing through it...He spotted pictures of US on our wedding day!!! It was an advertisement that our photographer put in of his work and he used us, along with someone else's wedding cake. INSANE I know and exciting. We never thought we'd be in a magazine...So cool that Kevin got to actually relive it, for real! 

Iyla loves to stand now
                           
The magazine!
                           

There we are!!!!
                           

                          

                     





No comments:

Post a Comment