Wednesday 6 November 2013

My Road2Recovery

Today is my third day post race and I am feeling a thousand times better than I did 2 days prior.

After my race there are many things I could've, and probably should've done to prevent the pain I experienced early this week. Things such as an icebath, rolling out, stretching and massage. All these things are time sensitive and typically should start happening right after the race, and I just didn't do them. I did walk it out after and stretched a bit, but I mostly celebrated with friends and ate great food. I have no regrets! 

Here's a great post race 24hr routine to prevent muscle soreness from RunnersWorld:

I will need to be more mindful on my recovery protocol come this spring after I complete my Half Ironman. My recovery will be critical because I will be running a full marathon a month later in Ottawa and I won't get as much time off after my Ironman.

Day 1 after the marathon my hamstrings and quads were SUPER tight (felt like I was bruised badly)! Trying to sit down was very difficult and going up and down stairs was the WORST. It doesn't help that we have 4 flights of stairs in our home, so there is no avoiding them. When managing the stairs I would've been a spectacle to watch with my sidewards facing and stepping strategy. Going up was easier than coming down and I always had a hand on the railing for support (I actually would use my upper body to take some of my weight off of my legs). The toughest part of my recovery was having to take care of Iyla while Kev went to work. It wasn't the taking care part, it was more the lifting part. Lifting her and carrying her...Especially up all those damn stairs!!

Day 2 is typically known to be a harder recovery day than day 1. I did struggle with the same things but I found it a bit easier versus harder. I think what helped with this was the walk we went on in the morning as a family. The weather was ideal for a fall walk, with the sun shining and temperature back in the double digits. What made this walk even more special was a quick stop at Starbucks prior, to indulge in their Christmas drinks. In hand for our walk Kev had his gingerbread latte and I had a cinnamon dolce, chai tea latte (I'm not into coffee). We also split my favourite cookie EVER, Starbucks' Ginger molasses, YUM! I love how chewy it is. 

The trail we walked on Recovery Day 2
Kev enjoying his Gingerbread Latte
mmmmm soooo good! 
Love these 3!
Day 3 My body feels back to normal, I'm ready to be back on the road/trail/path running. Despite feeling so good I'm going to give myself a few more days of rest before lacing back up. With Kev away   to New Brunswick with the mens Ryerson soccer team to Nationals (woot woot), I will be heading back to where I was born and raised, to spend some quality time with family. 




No comments:

Post a Comment