Wednesday 27 February 2013

My Buds Your Buds by: Kevin Souter

For Valentines Day, my wonderful wife Calea brought me home as (part of) my gift a pair of Ironman Yurbuds Headphones. Talk about love!! Many runners may be able to attest, that a good pair of headphones are hard to come by. At least that is what I tell myself....truth is my "big ears" I had as a kid, now look fairly normal and in proportion as my head caught up! Yet I always seem to have trouble finding a pair of headphones that either 1) fit my earlobe, or 2) stay in my ear without constant adjustment.

It seems so simple when you see the magazines, or watch those athlete endorsed commercials, or even the 'every day' exerciser can make the headphone experience seem so joyous, easy and effortless.

Here is my dilemma - What is the etiquette in trying before buying headphones? I often buy on a whim with my fingers tightly crossed. Oftentimes I've had to engineer ways to maximize the experience. I've wore a toque in the summer (keeps them in place), I've wore earmuffs, borrowed one of Calea's lululemon headbands, I've even wore headphones upside down and considered duct tape!!! All the while I curse that I continue to spend money on headphones that never fit.

Those of you who work out regularly, and those who cover miles upon miles (kilometres in Canada eh!) per week might subscribe to the power of audio. There is only so long I can run on the sounds of nature and cadence of my breath despite how gratifying it can be!!

One day while skimming an issue of Triathlete Magazine I saw a pair of headphones that guaranteed never to fall out even during vigorous exercise. The lure was a patented Twist-Lock Technology. That was enough for me.

Valentines Day came and the Ironman Yurbuds were in my hands....then quickly into my ears.
This was the moment of truth. In they went, the 'sound tunnel' slipped into my ear canal and I twisted the backing in order to securely 'lock'. Then began the series of head banging, jumping up and down, running on the spot....awkwardly it would have looked something like a routine from Flashdance but less attractive! Good enough for me....now time to test run.

I got a couple training runs in but the big test of the week was my 13 mile Sunday run. The Ironman Yurbuds stayed snug and comfortable. The sound was great and it was a relief to never have to concern myself with constant adjustments. Some may take this for granted however, if like me, this was a revelation I'd been searching for for what seems like such a long time.

In the past I have tried Phillips in-ear headphones, Skull Candy in-ear headphones, a pair that goes over the head, another that goes around the ears (which I wore upside down for a better fit!?) and of course all of the complimentary Apple pairs that come with the iPhone and iPod.

Finally I can rest easy with my new in-ear soulmate - the Ironman Yurbuds Sport Earphones

FEATURES:
Straight from the back of the box....

Ultra Soft: Comfort Fit Never Hurts
Sweat and Water Resistant
Twist Lock Technology
Ergonomic Design
Allows Ambient Sound
4ft Tangle Resistant Cloth Cords

COMES WITH:
2 Sizes of Earbud Enhancers
Cord Clip
Sport Carry Pouch
Angled Plug

"Developed By Athletes For Athletes"

My name is Kevin Souter and after years of searching and yearning, I finally found my long term running companion. Anything is possible! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment