Sunday 21 July 2013

Family Matters

This past week I've spent quite a bit of time reflecting and organizing myself to begin my training on my quest to qualify for the Boston Marathon. The things I've now realized that will and can be a factor on my training and outcome include:

  • Start time of training (I will be 4 weeks behind my typical marathon training plan to allow my body to heal
  • Approval to start my training from the doctor (this determines my actual training start)
  • New sleep schedule, with demands and unprepared demands of a new growing baby
  • My bodies quickness to jump in fast to an intense training schedule
Because of the broad spectrum of factors in my training I came to the realization that I need to accept that my body may not jump back in quite as quickly as I'd like. For me to accept this I've learned from the past that I need to set more than just one goal on marathon race day (November 2nd). Setting more than one goal allows peace of mind and varied levels of accomplishment. 

The goals I have set for race day include:

  1. Finish the race
  2. Enjoy the race
  3. PB (beat my previous time to hit a personal best)
  4. Qualify for Boston
I decided after setting those goals that I wanted to have a back up plan if Boston wasn't in the cards, one that would and can still push my body to the limits. I knew that my plan after the marathon in November was to begin focusing on triathlons more, so I started looking up Half Ironmans. I found one the week before Boston Marathon in Haines City Florida (IRONMAN 70.3 Florida). Inside I got so excited about this the second I found it because it would be a massive jump for me to do an Ironman compared to the Try-A-Tri's I did last summer. I love challenges.



I shared this idea/plan with my husband Kev on Wednesday while my dad and step mom Rose were across visiting us and baby Iyla. During that sharing the idea caused so much energy and excitement between us all because it makes so much sense for our family. First Florida is where my dad and Rose go regularly during their RV travels, and as luck will have it they will potentially be staying only 17 miles away from where the race takes place.

This got the collective wheels turning. That would mean family support on race day, allowing both Kevin and I to accomplish our Half Ironman goal. How great to have ready made babysitters and support on the sidelines during a taxing yet rewarding challenge. It also fits because we can make a family vacation out of it...Road-Trip!!! Most campgrounds offer accommodations (such as RV, cabin and or chalet rentals) and many family and dog friendly amenities. This would then allow Kaiser our boxer dog to join in on the family fun. 

At the end of the day this idea turned into a surprisingly feasible opportunity and since plans are beginning to form. The plan is now to do the Half Ironman in April followed by the 2014 Boston Marathon a week later.

How excited am I :) 

Lets get running, oh better wait my two weeks. 

Visualizing for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment