Sunday 11 August 2013

Better First Than Last

Now that the word 'parenthood' is used as a description of who I am I've experienced many firsts. This weekend was jam-packed with firsts for me, where I got to live them in the moment, and I can now see how much I learned.

It started off with a Saturday of packing up the car for our first overnight trip with iyla and our boxer kaiser. Getting them in the car wasn't an issue, it's all that comes with them for a weekend away. As you will see below a bag for each of us, sleeping pillow, and our pack and play for iyla left our vehicle near filled to the brim (I guess no more kids for us Kevin), and us leaving much later than planned. 
So much for packing everything up the night before, we STILL didn't get out of the house when planned. My advice is when making plans, don't set a specific time to be somewhere, add 'around' and 'ish' to your vocabulary. Example: ah we should be there around 3ish. That way you aren't disappointing anyone waiting for you at an exact time or if you're like me, driving yourself nuts thinking you may be late...I hate being late, it's not how I work...I get so worked up thinking I might be. I'm the girl who was in tears when she was late once to work in 3 years, feeling very irresponsible in that moment.
Kaiser over eager to get in the car...back seat instead of trunk

On our way!

Sunday gave way to my first LSD (long steady distance) at 10miles and my dear friend, Delynn's  daughter, Isabella's baptism and first birthday. I knew I would have to get on the road early so that Kevin, Iyla and I would get everywhere on time since there were set places to meet. To do this I created a plan I thought to be a sure thing:

Get up super early at 530am to pump and throw on my run gear and be out the door by 6am. I'd be back at 8am latest with time to shower and get iyla ready and fed before a 10am Baptism. I even had my mom prepped (bless her heart) with how she takes her bottle etc (I'm lucky my mom could watch her so I could run and Kev could join me).

What actually happened:
Up on time...Iyla got hungry super early so I had to feed her, burp etc prior to pumping a bottle. By the time this was done it was 6:40am. I then had to eat breakfast (forgot to actually factor this in), I just grabbed a breakfast bar because it was quick, filled my camelback and finally hit the road at 7am (Yes an hour later than panned). Once outside I had to run off a bunch of emotions that were coming up for me with my patient partner Kev by my side. My breathing got heavy because I knew I wouldn't be able to do my planned 10miler and would have to cut it short to 6. This felt like death to me...I absolutely hate changing my planned workout in milage and 6miles didn't feel like a challenge, the challenge of 10 I was looking forward to. Crazy as that may sound I'm not happy unless I'm pushing the boundaries on what I can do, I feel so alive when I'm going further, or faster than imagined. 'Counting Stars' by One Republic "Everything that kills me makes me feel alive" describes how I feel with physical activity. The killing part for me is the struggle and the pushing my body to the edge. Kevin could see me over thinking in my head and asked what he could do to help us all get ready when back so we could kill a few more miles. Man I love my man, who can read my mind more than he realizes, he is everything I'am not and more and is all about supporting me (that I will save for another blog, another day). 

So 4 miles out and back we went on the River Road in Chatham. The great thing about running early on a Sunday is that there is rarely ever an interruption of street lights or cars...just quiet streets and the beautiful sun rising ahead of us. For this run I just planned to stay on average under a 9 minute mile and I did just that. Drinking water every 2 miles we made it home not long after 8 am and to the baptism early.
Ready for Isabella's baptism and 1st Birthday
Church...this was Iyla's first time and both Kevin and I were a bit nervous to how she would do. She slept the whole time as we enjoyed the lovely service and milestone occurring in our friends lives. Isabella was gorgeous as ever and full of giggles, bringing the whole congregation to a state of joyous laughter.

After the service we all went back to Delynn and Dave's home to now celebrate Isabella's first birthday. Their beautiful home and yard was full of family, friends and more importantly LOVE. This love was an energy you could feel, everyone truly enjoying the company surrounding them. During her 'smash the cake' experience I found myself getting teary eyed thinking how quickly Izzy has grown up, how quickly her mom and dad also have and our relationships. I can still remember meeting my dear friend Delynn in high school and it then brought me to think about how quick time has already gone by with iyla. Her one year birthday will be here before I know it. It's weird because I almost don't want her to grow up, I want to stretch out and savour each moment. Yet on the other hand each stage brings new thrills and excitement to us as parents. I'm so attached to her it's scary amazing. Love pours out of me for her more than I could have ever imagined.
Birthday girl with her loving parents
Daddy and his girl...30seconds later his shirt covered in spit
The kids

To recap:
Our first overnight road trip which we came through unscathed. I'm sure as we travel more in the future we will become more efficient. Another first was my LSD, the milage is increasing and I learned yes to planned runs but I myself have to understand the 'around' and 'ish' on my daily scheduling. This week it will mean adding a few more miles to my shorter week runs. Finally Izzy's first birthday and how wonderful it is to watch her grow in a loving family environment. It reminds me to always cherish every moment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment