Monday 21 January 2013

Canadian Cold Front Run


As promised here is my update on yesterdays 16k run.

I woke up Sunday and ran in the predicted weather of -4C with wind at 41km and gusts up to 63km/hr. Makes you want to roll over and hit snooze right!  CRAZY change from the mild weather the day before. I shouldn't expect it to be any different since I am living in Canada eh!

I always seem to dread cold weather running and yesterday I didn't feel that same way. I think it's in part because I knew I had a team of others expecting me for run club at The Running Room.

Prior to heading out I layered myself up in my brushed luxstreme compression tights, a swiftly base tank, swiftly long sleeve overtop. My third layer consisted of a warmer half zip and then my bundle up jacket (all lululemon of course). I put on my headband, runningroom mittens and compression socks under my tights. I was ready to rock! I brought my balaclava just in case in my bag and my sunglasses.







For fuel I had my camelback on filled with a bit with water and one chocolate raspberry roctane GU. From here on out I will be wearing my trusty 'salomon' camelback because my belt does not fit me anymore and my pack is adjustable which I love.

I ran with my trusty partner again, Lisa and of course baby Souter. We followed the group leader on the same 16k route as the week prior, only this time it seemed twice as hard. During the run it felt like we were running into the wind the whole time. I can't lie, we did have a bit of wind behind us in one section...That didn't seem to last for long.

We were doing 10 and 1's so we would walk every 10mins. This is a new system for me and one I appreciated the most on this run due to the weather and difficulty I had breathing in it. By the end of the run my water was starting to ice at the last bit of my straw on my camelback. I was happy when we saw the end in sight.

When we finished I was surprised to find out that we actually beat our time from the week prior by 3mins.

This is funny to me because I felt as if I ran so much stronger the week before and yet my time was better with the struggle. What's even funnier is the inconsistency with running long runs. I follow a pretty consistent pattern with my nutrition and lifestyle yet my runs are NEVER predictable. Some are great and some are hard and some are just darn brutal. I've yet to find the root cause of these results.

Do any of you experience these similar results?

What I can tell you is that I am sooo excited to be running through my pregnancy and I am looking forward to my upcoming races:

March 3rd, 2013= 'The Chilly Half Marathon' http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=7839



I am running this along with a few of my friends from work and can't wait.







Next up I have the...
May 12th, 2013= 'The Toronto Sporting Life 10k' http://www.sportinglife10k.ca/

I am running this race with friends and family. I plan to run both these races with my other pregnant friend Katie. She's one month ahead of me right now and I can't wait to have this new racing experience.

What races are you doing this year?

I still want to find one more race happening in early June, so please let me know if you have one in the Toronto region that you recommend.

Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment