Sunday 29 September 2013

T-5 Weeks till RACE DAY

I am now in my 7th week of post baby marathon training and I want to give you some insight on what's happened since I started...

August: 

Week 1: Was actually week 4 of my training plan and made me feel as if I had just taken a soccer ball to the stomach, taking my breath away. My lungs spent this time getting used to running again as well as my body. I cut my 6 days of running down so that I could take my time and prevent injury.

Week 2: My weekly running and pace was back on track and I had the feeling of an enthusiastic spring in my step. I was back on track with completing all my runs but I was still shortening my LSD (long slow/steady distance) runs to the training week prior.

Week 3: Was happy with my MP (marathon pace) training runs during the week but suffering on the hill training that surrounded my every run. Out where I live there is no way to avoid hills. We also had family across mixed with my husband starting pre-season leaving me with an inconsistent run schedule.

September:

Week 4: My consistency with my running took a turn for the best. My husband was on a somewhat set schedule with his teams soccer season beginning, allowing me to complete my running in the am so that Iyla had her amazing father looking after her. Another big win for me was that I was doing the correct LSD runs (no more shortening them).

Week 5: My best week yet on my training, ending with a great 20 mile LSD that was better than I expected at an 8:35 min/mile. I felt I could've easily ran another 6 miles.

Week 6: Took a turn...I completed only 2 out of 5 training runs during the week because my husbands job took him out of town. On the Wed I got a great 40km cycling ride in as my recovery versus a 5 miler at an easy pace. My LSD was upped to 22 miles, an additional 2 miles of hills compared to last week and my pace was not at where I wanted it to be (8:37 is my aim and I averaged a 9:13). The route was basically the same but I started slowing after mile 11 and felt pain in my lower back the rest of the way home.

Looking back at it now I think this could've been the result of a few things...

  • Lack of sleep (Iyla started teething :( not fun for either one of us)
  • The decrease of my milage/training in the week
  • A miss in my protein intake, I was slacking at this all week
  • Didn't wear my shin/calf sleeves
Week 7: Back on track with my weekly runs and YASSO 800's track training started. Happy with my times all week! I have another 22 LSD run tomorrow that I am looking forward to because it will give me a chance to see if the training and nutrition switches this week have helped. Also being competitive with myself and have being disappointed last weeks run, I feel I have something to prove to myself. 
YASSO 800's
Finishing my final/6th rep

My buddy Kaiser almost as tired as I am





No comments:

Post a Comment