Thursday 3 October 2013

Besting Yourself

Running is an individual sport in which we are always in competition with ourselves. From training to races, we continuously push ourselves to run stronger, further and faster. Before I get to my tips on how to better yourself mentally and physically, take a look below at the comparison between 2 of my training runs. Both were at a distance of 22 miles and happened a week apart.

              Monday Sept. 23rd          Monday Sept. 30th

Mile 1:    8:26                                 8:28
Mile 2:    8:31                                 8:24
Mile 3:    8:41                                 8:23
Mile 4:    8:58                                 8:25
Mile 5:    8:44                                 8:32
Mile 6:    9:52                                 8:50
Mile 7:    8:59                                 8:45
Mile 8:    8:51                                 8:58
Mile 9:    9:08                                 8:01
Mile 10:  9:27                                 8:13
Mile 11:  9:11                                 8:04
Mile 12:  9:06                                 8:24
Mile 13:  9:00                                 8:16
Mile 14:  9:18                                 8:13
Mile 15:  9:15                                 8:41
Mile 16:  9:25                                 8:29
Mile 17:  9:03                                 8:18
Mile 18:  9:35                                 8:25
Mile 19:  10:11                               8:26
Mile 20:  10:05                               8:26
Mile 21:  9:36                                 8:33
Mile 22:  9:41                                 8:31

Avg:       9:13 min/mile                   8:26 min/mile

(Glad theres no more miles in there)

Elevation:


Quick video of my run!


Review:

After my first 22 miler run in which I didn't hit the pace I had in mind I was fired up to better myself.

As you can see my long run this past Monday was on average 47sec quicker per mile compared to my previous 22mile run. During my first run, my pace never returned to under 9mins beyond mile 9, and even hit as high as 10min miles on my last hill. This past Sunday I managed to keep each mile under 9mins....even THE HILLS.

Here are my tips that made this improvement happen and hopefully helps you hit a PB whether it be on the road, in the gym, or at the office:

Step 1: Reflect
Take the time to reflect on the event that occurred. When reflecting ask yourself about the wins and the areas of opportunity. I ask myself what would I do differently if I could redo it. Look at all the factors, controllable's and non controllable' s.

For me a win was completing the 22 miles (it had been an increase of 2 miles in my training). The areas of opportunity I saw was in my pre-run controllable's (what I ate, how I slept, what I wore, time of day I run, weekly strength training and my weekly runs leading up to my long run). What I would do differently is better manage my controllable's. Non-controllables for me included the weather (temperature), Iyla teething and waking more in the middle of the night leading up to the run.

Step 2: Controllable's into Actions
Once you have reflected on your controllable's, choose the actions needed to change them and ACTION THEM. 

My actions included eating more nutritious meals, meals that would give me longer, lasting energy. Instead of eating my Kashi cereal before my run I had oatmeal with peanut butter, berries and honey. I made sure to complete all my weekly runs on my training plan. I took some weekly naps when Iyla slept since I know I can't control how often she wakes in the middle of the night. I was sure to do my strength training in the week. I moved my run time to 830am versus 1030am the week prior. I wore compression sleeves on my shins/calves.

Step 3: Rewards
Set rewards that are both internal and external. Make rewards to occur during different times of what you are working on. Rewards help because it's something that can keep you motivated, as you look forward to them happening.

During my run my internal rewards included, celebrating when I was a quarter way done, a third done, half way done and so on. Other internal celebration rewards happen when I make it as East, West, North or South as my run goes, sounds like this..."AMAZING I have ran as far North as I'm going today, it's South from here". I internally allow myself to celebrate when I am on pace, and when I reach the top of a hill. 

My external rewards during my run include having my gels (tri-berry GU) every 45mins. Getting to have some water every 2 miles that I run. I use my music as a reward too! I will allow myself to listen to music once I am a third of the way into my run. Sometimes as of late I will allow myself to stop to take a picture of my run. After achieving my long run I reward myself by having a special treat on long run days. This past week it was a ginger molasses cookie from Starbucks. My favourite cookie of ALL time! Other times it might be Super Nibs, or gummy bears. 

Step 4: Positive Self Talk
Talk to yourself in a way you would talk to your best friend to lift them up and support them in what they do. Words of encouragement! I believe this step is an underlying factor to ones success in anything you do. You can choose to be your best friend or your worst enemy.

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right". -Henry Ford

Throughout my run I celebrate myself every time I hit a mile marker, a pace I aim for, a hill that I've reached the top of, and when I turn onto a new road etc. As you can see there's a lot of celebration happening on my run! I find many different ways to enjoy myself and what I'm doing. As silly as this may sound I will say things like this, "Yes Calea, well done...You're killing it"...This is followed by some claps out loud for myself, or a slap on the back to myself. At the end of the day you have to find the words that work for you and give you energy.

Leaves are changing on the trail now.

Love the colours in the fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment