Wednesday 30 October 2013

Taper Truths

Well folks I am less than a week away now from HMRoad2Hope and wanted to fill you in on what's been going on with me during this 'Taper' time.

This is the hardest week of taper for me because after completing Tuesday's 4 miles easy, I only have 2 training runs left. I am used to running on average 6 days a week, and this week I have 4 runs with very low mileage...UNTIL Sunday. As hard as it is not go out quick during these runs I know I have to take it easy and rest my body. The cost of going too hard during the taper can interfere with your race plan/goal. It can also cause you to hit a wall (not something I ever want to experience again). It's all about placing trust in your training to this point knowing that it is designed to get me across the finish line at goal pace. Other runners and people I know get nervous about the drop in mileage because they may have had a poor last LSD run and want the confidence of getting one more under their belt. They push hard during the taper, adding mileage to compensate, and the body does not have enough time to adequately recover prior to race day.

So what do I do with all this free time? Thankfully it's close to Halloween and I have a 4 month old on my hands to keep me occupied. I've turned my extra time into QT (quality time) with my family. Here are some of the fun things we've done in the last week in pictures:


  • Ladies afternoon tea with my dear friend Katie and her daughter Georgia





  • Bath time is THE BEST! 



  • Game nights with 'Bananagrams' and 'Taboo'


  • Pumpkin carving










  • Fall family trail walks


  • Fall family photoshoot (Kevin snapped this one between our photographer Carly's shots)


  • Swim lessons with Iyla


  • Watched a scary movie ( I hate scary movies, most wouldn't even consider it scary but I do!)
  • 4 month doctor appointment for Iyla
  • Watched Ryerson Rams in their final playoff game win in overtime to make it to the Final4
Now I also use this free time to increase my mental preparation for the race. Here are some things that I do:

  • Course map review...Once I looked up the map online I used google street view and walked myself through the course to have a mental visualization of what each street actually looks like
  • Evening Visualization...For the past few months I have spent every night before bed visualizing myself running the course route and feeling good as I pass each mile/km marker
  • Running Visualization...Every training run I do I practice the following scenario at every 2 miles: saying "water" out loud and reaching for an imaginary cup, pouring some water out, folding it at it's corner and drinking from it before tossing it. I look absolutely crazy to any onlookers ha, fortunately only one person has caught me in the act and just stared. During my training I also picture being on the course, so if I'm wrapping up my run I picture finishing up my race and how I will feel etc. 
  • Setting a reward/rewards...One of my rewards post race will be hitting up a great food joint with friends to celebrate. Another reward will be signing up for another race (I have 3 in line, but it's going to be 'Around The Bay'). The other races aren't a priority at this point. Around The Bay sells out every year and the price goes up on the 3rd of November, so it looks like I will be signing up after my race.
  • My wins map...See the picture below for more detail! It's a map of the route with each celebration marked on it. That includes: Every time I get to have water, my gels, I complete 10 miles, I make it to the downhill section, I make it to the waterfront, Kevin joins me for my final 10k and I cross that finish line WOO! 

No comments:

Post a Comment